Monday 26 March 2012

What We Ate March 19 - 25



The highlight of our week was watercress.  I love watercress!  My friend Patty tipped me off to a large patch of it, growing in a nearby stream.  I had to wade into the water up to mid-thigh to get it (and oh my goodness the water was cold!) but it was worth the soaking.  The peppery greens added some much appreciated fresh flavour to our meals.

I had hoped to spend nothing at all on groceries this week but ending up buying a few things.  I spent $15.64 on food, bringing our monthly total to $124.10.  Much of the money spent wasn’t strictly necessary, but I wanted to change things up with a couple of new ingredients. 

We’ve been eating from the pantry for more than three months now and we’re both feeling a need for variety.  It’ll be a while yet before we see any local spring vegetables so, in order to keep us on track, I’m going to have to find new ways to work with the ingredients available to us. 

My goal for this week is to inject more variety into our menus while continuing to use what we have on hand.  I’m going to spend more time with my cookbooks and researching recipes on line, looking for new ways to present the foods we have on hand.  And I’m going back to pick more watercress!

Here’s what we ate last week:

Monday, March 19:


Tuesday, March 20:
  • Breakfast:  Whole wheat toast and peanut butter, pears
  • Supper:  Mushroom omelettes, watercress salad with honey mustard vinaigrette, oranges

Wednesday, March 21:
  • Breakfast:  Oatmeal cooked with brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins and apples
  • Supper:  Venison meatloaf, baked potatoes, steamed snap peas, pineapple cake


Thursday, March 22:
  • Breakfast:  Boiled eggs, toast, oranges
  • Supper:  Pinto beans and brown rice, celery and mushroom salad with red wine vinaigrette, applesauce


Friday, March 23:
  • Breakfast – Wheat and white biscuits, cheddar cheese, apples
  • Supper – Watercress frittata, roasted green beans, canned pears


Saturday, March 24:
  • Breakfast – Granola, yogurt, apples
  • Supper – Grilled  honey mustard marinated chicken breasts, brown rice and cabbage salad, canned cherries


Sunday, March 25:
  • Breakfast – Apple sticky buns
  • Supper – Bangers (English sausages), vegetable hash, oranges 

No comments: