Friday 18 May 2012

Beetski Salad


My friend Anna is the goddess of square meal cooking.  She has a compendium of recipes from back in the day, all fairly simple and all very tasty.  She learned much of her cooking from her mom, and has been kind enough to share many of those recipes with me. 

Some years ago, Anna bought a cookbook called “Square Meals.”  It was very cool; a collection of recipes from the 50’s and early 60’s, with humourous commentary and vintage illustrations.  I spent some hours reading through it, and particularly enjoyed the recipe titles. 

One "Square Meals" recipe, made with beets and sour cream, was called “Blushing Beetski Salad.”  I regret not having copied it down.  The title amused me enough to stick in my mind.  I still remember it all these years later, even though I've forgotten most of the ingredients in the salad, and all of the quantities called for.

Last week I was looking for something different to serve as a salad course and, since the name came to mind, I decided to make a "Beetski Salad" of my own.  I used the simplest of ingredients and, although my salad didn’t blush, it was mighty tasty.  The leftovers stood up well in the fridge too, making a nice addition to my lunch the following day.

We liked this recipe well enough that I've added it to my recipe file.  It's acidity makes a pleasant counterpoint to pork and would pair well with chicken too.

To make Beetski Salad, you’ll need:

  • About a cup of pickled beets, cut in a half-inch dice
  • About a cup of crisp apple, with the peels on, also cut in a half-inch dice
  • 2 Tablespoons plain yogurt
  • 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
  • Salt, pepper, and paprika to taste
Measure the first four ingredients in a bowl and stir them together until they’re well combined.  Taste and adjust the seasoning. 

That's it.  I told you it was simple!

I plated this salad on a bed of lettuce, and sprinkled a little paprika over it just before serving it.  It was definitely not the prettiest girl at the party but what it lacked in beauty, it made up for in taste.  :)