Thursday 28 March 2013

Tangy Radish Salad Dressing


"We decided to join a local CSA and even though we opted for the smaller box, I'm already overrun with vegetables by the second week! Today I'm going to eat veggies for every meal and make some plans to get through the remainder before our next pickup! I currently have more radishes in my fridge than I have ever had before..." - Pinch My Salt on Facebook

I literally laughed out loud when I read this Facebook post this morning. I know just how she feels! 

We tried the CSA thing a couple of years ago, and it just didn't work for us. It was frustrating to me to have no control over the quantity of vegetables we received and no control over what our CSA baskets contained. We were so swamped with some vegetables that we got heartily sick of them.

One thing I did learn from our season of CSA baskets was how to improvise. I deplore kitchen waste and it became a personal challenge to use up all the vegetables we received. 

This salad dressing would be an excellent way to use up at least a few of those extra radishes in Pinch My Salt's refrigerator: Its pale pink colour and creamy texture seem to lull folks into an expectation that it will be bland and somewhat sweet but, instead, it's little bit peppery and has distinct tang. I'm often greeted with an expression of surprise when people take their first bite, but they always go back for more.

To make Tangy Radish Salad Dressing, you'll need:




  • 5 (or more) red radishes, washed and trimmed
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 Tablespoon water, or more


Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process them until they're smooth.

If the salad dressing is too thick, add a little more water. I used homemade mayonnaise and homemade Greek yogurt, both of which were quite thick. so I ended up using a full Tablespoon of water this time.

Taste the salad dressing. If it's not radish-y enough (some radishes are milder than others), add in more radishes and process again. I added two extra radishes, for a total of seven, to make this batch.

Refrigerate any unused salad dressing in a sealer jar or airtight container. It'll keep in the fridge for about a week.

Author's note:
I've been making tangy radish salad dressing for more than twenty years, from a recipe I copied out onto a piece of scrap  paper.  It's titled "Rosemount Inn Tangy Salad Dressing" and I'm assuming that I found it in a magazine.  I couldn't begin to tell you which one.  If you happen to know where it was published, please let me know so I can attribute the source.  Thanks.
___________________________
This recipe is linked to Hearth and Soul blog hop hosted by The 21st Century Housewife, Premeditated Leftovers, Savoring Today, and Zesty South Indian Kitchen.


Hearth & Soul Hop