Our week was pretty uneventful this week, until the weekend.
On Saturday, some folks renovating an apartment downstairs from us decided to varnish their floors. They closed the apartment windows up tight (I'm assuming because they were worried about dust) so the fumes from the varnish, having nowhere else to go, made their way into the common hallway and then into the apartments above, including ours. We woke in the middle of the night violently ill.
My husband was already sick with the 'flu and we clearly couldn't stay in the apartment, so we bundled up, turned off the heat, opened all the windows, and left the apartment. We wedged some towels along the bottom of the door as we left, hoping to prevent more fumes from entering.
We were fortunate that Sunday was a beautiful sunny day, and quite warm. We spent the day driving around like tourists and by the time we got home the air in our suite was breathable once more,
Our sick tummies put a big hole in our weekend meal plans. Neither of us ate anything much at all on Saturday. (Thank goodness for restorative cups of tea and dry toast!)
I was sufficiently recovered to eat on Sunday but my fella is still not on solid food. I'm going to try to get some soup into him tonight.
Here's what we ate last week:
Monday, February 25:
- Breakfast - Homemade granola and homemade yogurt
- Supper - Pinto beans and rice, green salad with honey lime vinaigrette, raisin pie leftover from Sunday's supper
Tuesday, February 26:
- Breakfast - Boiled eggs, wholewheat toast, homemade peach jam
- Supper - Stir fry of onion, broccoli, cabbage, red pepper, carrots and some cooked pork shoulder roast (from the freezer) in a sauce of homemade pork stock flavoured with black bean sauce, served over soba noodles. Ginger crinkle cookies for dessert.
Wednesday, February 27:
- Breakfast - Peanut butter, marmalade, and raisin sandwiches on toasted whole wheat bread
- Supper - Twice baked potatoes stuffed with cooked, crumbled Italian sausage, sauteed red bell pepper, sauteed onion, and mozzarella cheese, roasted broccoli, tomato and onion salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Tapioca pudding for dessert.
Thursday, February 28:
- Breakfast - Apples and sliced cheddar
- Supper - A hash of potatoes, mushrooms, onions, cooked crumbled Italian sausage (leftover from Wednesday's dinner), with eggs "nested" into the hash and then baked. We topped the dish with chopped fresh tomatoes, and had oranges for dessert.
Friday, March 1:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal and applesauce
- Supper - Fish pie (salmon, potatoes, onions, peas, and chopped hardcooked eggs in a cream sauce, topped with a puff pastry crust), steamed carrots and cabbage, baked apples with an oatmeal and maple cookie crust.
Saturday, March 2:
- Breakfast - Pears in brown sugar syrup with ginger and homemade yogurt
- Supper - Roasted cauliflower, beets, carrots, rutabaga, and potatoes
Sunday, March 3:
- We were sick, so we didn't prepare any meals at all.