We spent the early days of this week fighting a 'flu that sneaked in and grabbed us at the end of last week. My fella was so sick that I was seriously worried about him and ended up taking him to the doctor. He's better now, thank goodness, but our meals were mighty light for a while.
Once he felt like eating again, my guy was pretty cranky about the winter vegetables we see so much of at this time of year so I tried to change things up a bit from the usual fare. Fortunately, there were a few more options available to us this week. Thrifty Foods had coloured cauliflowers in stock (purple, orange, and bright green), we bought some more lovely asparagus, and I brought home some young nettle shoots from my first foraging walk of the spring.
Here's what we ate this week:
Monday, March 4:
- Breakfast - Poached eggs and whole wheat toast for me. Nothing for my fella.
- Supper - A salad of mixed greens with shredded carrot, beet, radish and honey mustard dressing for me. Cheese toast for me. Dry toast and tea for my guy.
Tuesday, March 5:
- Breakfast - Oatmeal and applesauce.
- Supper - Chicken vegetable and rice soup, cheddar corn muffins.
Wednesday, March 6:
- Breakfast - Leftover corn muffins, apples
- Supper - Ham, cheddar, and asparagus quiche (made using this recipe), roasted cauliflower and carrots. Chocolate orange sandwich cookies for dessert.
Thursday, March 7:
- Breakfast - Homemade granola and homemade yogurt
- Supper - Pizza bianco with a homemade garlic and rosemary focaccia crust, caramelized onions, blanched nettles, thinly sliced red bell pepper (from the freezer), and homemade ricotta. Homemade orange sorbet for dessert.
Friday, March 8:
- Breakfast - Leftover pizza
- Supper - We went out for burgers.
Saturday, March 9:
- Breakfast - Almost-whole-wheat pancakes with warmed, home canned peaches.
- Supper - Pork and vegetable fried rice, vegetable spring rolls, ginger crinkle cookies
Sunday, March 10:
- Breakfast - Eggs baked on a bed of fried rice, leftover from Saturday's supper.
- Supper - Roasted asparagus and cheddar quesadillas on homemade wheat and white tortillas, carrot, raisin and apple salad with orange dressing. Home canned cherries for dessert.