Thursday 5 June 2014

Crispy Homemade Chicken Strips


Vegetable Thins crackers are a guilty pleasure of mine.  I know that they're processed food, and that they contain ingredients I don't normally eat, but they taste so darned good!  If I have them in the house, I'm likely to wolf them down like potato chips.  



We had company recently, and I seized upon the excuse to buy me some crackers.  When I got to the store, I found that they were on sale for $1.63 a box if you purchased multiples of three.  

Yay! 

Of course I bought three!

When our company left there was still one box of crackers left.  I needed to make something quick for supper the next day, so I decided to bash those crackers up into crumbs and use them as breading for chicken strips. 

Here's how I made the chicken strips:

I cut four boneless skinless chicken breasts into strips and then made a breading station, with a pie plate of flour, one of beaten eggs, and one of cracker crumbs.



I dipped each strip first in the flour, then in the egg, then in the cracker crumbs, and placed them on a parchment lined cookie sheet like this:



(There were lots of crumbs left over when I was done breading the chicken.  I could probably have breaded at least two more chicken breasts from what I had.  Next time I'll only bash up 2/3 of the bag, and save the rest for snacking.)

I baked the chicken strips on the middle rack of a 400F oven for 25 minutes.  They didn't change colour much, but they did brown on the bottom and around the edges.



I served the chicken strips with little bowls of ranch dressing, for dipping.  They were delicious:  crispy on the outside, and moist inside.  

Easy, right?  You know you want to try them.  :)