Monday 21 October 2013

Ridiculously Simple Pumpkin Soup


I like pumpkin.  Really I do.  It's inexpensive, versatile, and crazy good for you, but even a pumpkin lover like me gets a little weary of the annual recipe onslaught on Facebook and Pinterest.  I mean, seriously, there's pumpkin everything and - while I do enjoy my pumpkin - there are lots of other wonderful fall foods out there too.

So why, then, am I posting a pumpkin recipe?

Because I mentioned making this soup in my "What's for Dinner" post on Facebook one day last week and one of my readers requested the recipe.  

I'm always happy to help when I can.  :^)

This soup is ridiculously simple to make and doesn't require exact measurements.  It's easily adapted to suit large quantities or small, and it comes together very simply.  If you don't have pumpkin it can be made with other winter squashes too.

To make Ridiculously Simple Pumpkin Soup, you'll need:



  • 1 small pumpkin, peeled and cubed (mine yielded about 4 cups)
  • Half as much coarsely chopped onion as you have pumpkin (I used about 2 cups)
  • Enough flavourful chicken or vegetable stock to barely cover the vegetables in the pot (I used about 3 cups of chicken stock)
  • Heavy (whipping) cream (I used about a cup)
  • Salt to taste
  • Nutmeg to taste

Put the pumpkin and onion together in a large pot and add enough stock to barely cover them. 

Bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover the pot and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender.

Working in small batches, puree the cooked vegetables.  Do this carefully!  Hot liquid expand with startling rapidity.  Never fill the blender or food processor more than half full with hot food, and always cover the lid with a folded cloth to help catch any possible overflow.


Return the pureed vegetables to the pot and stir in just enough cream to give the soup a thick but smooth consistency.  (I used about a cup.)

Reheat the soup over medium-low heat until the temperature comes to just below boiling.  

Add salt to taste, working a little at a time, and tasting after each addition.

Add nutmeg to taste.  It's a very strong flavour so work in 1/8 teaspoon increments, adding and tasting until you attain a flavour you enjoy.  (I used about 1/2 teaspoon in my soup.)

Serve your pumpkin soup piping hot.  

Pumpkin seeds, creme fraiche, croutons, or dumplings all make good garnishes for this dish.

Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days.  I don't recommend freezing this soup.
_____________________________
This recipe has been shared at the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop hosted by The 21st Century Housewife, Premeditated Leftovers, and Zesty South Indian Kitchen

Hearth & Soul Hop